The threat of cyber-attacks is truly scary – especially when you’re entrusted to keep PII secure day in and day out. You may be even more on edge with the recent news about large-scale information breaches from prominent companies such as Yahoo and Dropbox. What’s an insolvency professional to do?
Never fear! Simply follow these Do’s and Don’ts for creating and maintaining online passwords to ensure that your accounts are secure at all times:
- Don’t use easily-guessed passwords such as “password” or “user.”
- Don’t use the same password for multiple online accounts.
- Don’t write your password down.
- Don’t choose passwords based on personal details that may be easy for someone to figure out, such as your birth date, your Social Security or phone number, or names of family members, which can be obtained.
- Create unique passwords that use a combination of words, numbers, symbols, and both upper and lower-case letters.
- Use a password storage program to keep track of your passwords, such as KeePass.
- Change your password periodically, even if it hasn’t been compromised.
- Use a variety of security questions and answers across websites that request such information from you to verify your identity or reset a forgotten password.
Stay one step ahead of hackers by following these simple tricks!